Another hit from Mexican Everyday! This was a salad that was hearty enough to serve as a main course. Joey doesn't typically like to eat salad as dinner, but he said he really liked this. And what's not to like? Chorizo, mushrooms, caramelized onions, cheese? All good things. Plus, it comes together in just 20 minutes. This is served with a light lime vinaigrette, but I really think it would be fine with just a squeeze of lime juice; the mushrooms and chorizo have so much flavor on their own. Serve this with a piece of warm crusty bread, and you've got a perfect dinner.
Roasted Mushroom Salad with Spinach and Chorizo
adapted from Rick Bayless, Mexican Everyday
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo, casings removed
- 4 cups (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms (I used the gourmet mix that my grocery store sells)
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 8 cups (about 8 ounces) salad spinach, washed, and stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablesoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbled
Break the chorizo into clumps and scatter on a baking sheet with the mushrooms and onions. Toss with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 10 minutes, then stir to break up the chorizo. Bake an additional 10 minutes, and remove from the oven.
Mix together the olive oil, lime juice, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 Tablespoons of water in a microwave safe container. Microwave on high for 30 seconds and whisk to combine.
Toss the spinach with the dressing, and divide into 4 dishes. Top with the roasted mushrooms, onions, and chorizo, and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.