We really don't eat out very often, and when we do, its either at our favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant, or its a "date night," in which case we go to a restaurant that's not as child-friendly, and leave Caroline with a sitter. However, every now and then we'll find ourselves out and about and want to just stop for something quick and easy. One of our favorites is Moe's. I really love their Homewrecker burrito, but at a whopping 900 calories, that's not something I care to eat on a regular basis, if at all.
When I saw these burritos in January's Cooking Light, I knew it was something we would enjoy. Joey even commented that it reminded him of a Moe's burrito. And at 360 calories, it is certainly a healthier option! I actually made them even healthier by using nonfat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream, whole wheat tortillas, and spinach instead of romaine (love those dark leafy greens!). I also added some extra spices to the bean mixture. All of my changes are reflected below.
These were super simple to make, and when I served them with some baked tortilla chips, guacamole, and homemade salsa, we felt like we were in a healthy Moe's!
Chipotle Bean Burritos
adapted from Cooking Light, January 2010
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 Tablespoons fresh salsa
- 6 10-inch whole wheat flour tortillas, warmed in microwave for 10-15 seconds
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, pepperjack, monterey jack, or a mixture)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach
- 6 Tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 6 Tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
Spoon about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with about 2 1/2 Tablespoons shredded cheese, 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1/4 spinach, 1 Tablespoon green onion, and 1 Tablespoon Greek yogurt. Roll tightly and serve immediately.