Notice anything different? I got a makeover! I hope you all like the new blog design. There are a few new features worth mentioning as well: I created a recipe index, so recipes should be easier to browse and search. I also created a new page, called Featured Recipes. I'll post several recipes that may be inspired by the seasons, certain ingredients, holidays, etc. Right now I'm featuring summertime fare, and if you are a new reader, you might enjoy reading what I cooked up last summer. I'm also new to Twitter, so check me out there - just click on the little bird cupcakes to the right! And finally, I have a button! If you'd like to post it on your own blog, grab the code!
Now onto the burgers. I am slowly but surely getting around to sharing the courses from my beer pairing dinner. I had originally planned to pair the Sweetwater IPA with grilled jerk chicken, but I had a stroke of genius and decided to turn it into sliders. I used a jerk chicken recipe and adapted into burger patties, then grilled them and served with pineapple-papaya salsa. I love serving sliders because I think they are so fun and cute, and they were perfect for our multi-course dinner. Plus, I got to make slider buns, which I love!
These had the perfect amount of heat, and they were balanced by the cinnamon and allspice in the recipe and the sweet salsa that accompanied them. A huge perk was also prepping them ahead of time and allowing them to marinate; then I just had to throw them on the grill when it was time to eat. Perfect for lazy summer entertaining!
One Year Ago: Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
Jerk Chicken Sliders
jerk marinade adapted from Gourmet, May 2002
makes 4 burgers
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-5 habanero chiles, seeds and ribs removed, minced and divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
Transfer the chicken to large bowl. Combine the scallions, the remaining garlic, remaining habaneros, thyme, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour over the ground chicken and knead gently to combine. Shape into 4-5 patties, and transfer to the marinade. Gently turn several times to cover the meat well, then cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Prepare Grill. Remove burgers from marinade and grill until cooked through, 5-7 minutes per side, turning once. Serve with Pineapple-Papaya salsa.
adapted from Gourmet, May 2002
- 2 pounds fresh papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple (about 1/2 small)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper