When I first saw these in Cooking Light, I got so excited because HOW have I never thought of an okra po' boy before?? Genius! Instead of being deep-fried, the shrimp and okra are tossed in buttermilk, then coated with spicy Cajun-spiked cornmeal. They are baked in the oven, and come out perfectly crispy and delicious.
Another way that these cut calories is portion control. Instead of being served on a big honking baguette, they are served in hot dog buns - like a lobster roll. Definitely splurge and buy fresh hot dog buns from the bakery for these; or better yet, make your own! A spicy and creamy remoulade sauce rounds them out, and I'd recommend serving simply with some chips, or go all-out summer and add some corn on the cob and watermelon.
Cooking Light, June 2014
The sandwiches were a little messy for the kids to eat, so I ended just giving them the okra and shrimp with some remoulade for dipping. They loved this, and I think it would be a fun appetizer served this way too!
- 15 small okra pods, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 low-fat buttermilk, divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 10 oz medium shrimp, deveined, peeled, and tails removed (preferably gulf shrimp)
- 1 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 3 Tbs canola oil
- 4 top-split, hot dog buns, toasted
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, halved lengthwise and sliced
- Remoulade sauce (recipe below)
Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Combine the okra and 2 tablespoons buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a medium bowl; gently stir to coat.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with flour; toss well to coat. Drizzle with remaining 6 tablespoons buttermilk, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Drain okra and shrimp through a sieve; discard liquid.
- Combine cornmeal and Cajun seasoning in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add okra and shrimp; seal bag, and shake well to coat.
- Carefully remove pan from oven; drizzle with oil, then use a brush to coat the entire bottom of the pan with the oil.. Remove shrimp and okra from cornmeal, shaking off excess, and arrange in a single layer on the pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Carefully flip the okra and corn, then bake an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimp and okra are cooked through.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the rémoulade on one side of hot dog buns; divide lettuce and tomato evenly among buns. top with the shimp and okra and serve.
adapted from Annie's Eats
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ Tbs pickle juice
- ½ tsp prepared horseradish
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Dash of hot sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.