It's Taco Tuesday, and everything is awesome! Who else is watching the Lego movie on repeat? I don't mind so much, especially when it inspires meals such as this. This, along with my grilled summer veggie salad, have become my favorite dinners of the summer. Two more big reasons to love it? It's incredibly quick and easy, and healthy to boot.
The steak is rubbed with a spicy mixture of cayenne, black pepper, salt, and paprika, and then thrown on the grill. Meanwhile, you simply mix up a quick watermelon salsa, warm your tortillas, and you're ready to eat. The smokiness and spice from the steak pair wonderfully with the sweet and spicy watermelon salsa, and the cotija cheese gives the tacos a subtly creamy and salty finish. I loved these tacos so much, and we all "mmm'ed" our way through dinner. I served these tacos with grilled Mexican-style street corn and more watermelon, and it was pretty much the perfect summer dinner.
So today's Tuesday… who wants tacos?
Spicy Steak Tacs with Watermelon Salsaadapted from Cooking Light, August 2014
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound flank or skirt steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 6 green onions, roots trimmed, finely minced
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh watermelon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded and chopped
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, paprika, oil, and red pepper in a small bowl. Rub both sides of the steak with the pepper and oil mixture.
- Arrange steak on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3-4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes; cut steak across the grain into thin slices.
- 4. Combine watermelon, cilantro, green onions, lime juice, chile, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- 5. Place tortillas on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly charred. Divide steak, salsa, and cheese evenly among tortillas.